The UK's Original Forklift Trainers Since 1977


Below are some of the most common questions that we get asked about training. If you do not see the answer to your question below, please do not hesitate to contact us for an answer.

If you have a MHE question or query that isn’t listed below please email the team on with your question and we will come straight back to you with the answer.


The Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER) states; “Every employer shall ensure that all persons who use work equipment have received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken. Every employer shall ensure that any of his employees who supervises or manages the use of work equipment has received adequate training for purposes of health and safety, including training in the methods which may be adopted when using the work equipment, any risks which such use may entail and precautions to be taken” (PUWER, Page 31, Regulation 9)


It is recommended that you take a Safety Refresher course every 3 to 5 years.

I have a Forklift Certificate of Training, can I drive other types of handling equipment?

No, the training which you receive is only valid for the type of machine you were trained on. If you wish to use other equipment, then you will need to undertake further training for the specific equipment.

Do I need separate training to operate a Diesel/LPG and an Electric Counterbalance Forklift truck?

It is our recommendation that individuals who will be operating both Electric and Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) forklifts should, as a minimum, receive formal training on one truck type and then have control familiarisation on the other. Familiarisation does not necessarily need to take place during a formal training course but should be conducted prior to the operator commencing work with the truck.

It should be noted that there is no legislation which specifically governs training requirements in relation to the motive power of forklifts thus the decision as to whether operators should be trained separately for each motive power of FLT is ultimately the employer’s to make. It may also be advisable to consult your insurer when making this decision.

Also if an operator is required to refuel an LPG truck and recharge an electric truck then they should receive training on how to do this correctly. If an operator is required to refuel an ICE truck when they have only received training on battery charging during an electric truck course (or vice versa) it is strongly advisable that they receive safety training and procedural familiarisation from their company or a training organisation as appropriate before taking responsibility for refueling/recharging.

Does my certificate of training have an expiry date?

Your training does not have a specific expiry date but it is recommend that you take a refresher course every 3 to 5 years.

Why should I take a refresher course?

It is recommend that you take a refresher course for a number of reasons. It means that your skills are kept up to date, it keeps away any bad habits that could arise and if you are job seeking, it is best to have your certificate of training refreshed if you have had it for a while. A lot of companies will not accept training that is older than 3 years. For more information on refresher training, then please refer to the HSE site.

Is Train-a-Lift Ltd accredited?

The majority of our courses are accredited by the Independent Training Standards Scheme and Register. All of the ITSSAR training courses that we carry out are added onto their national database scheme. This is called the Trained Operator Passport Scheme and is more commonly known as TOPS. Find out more about TOPS.

 Do I have to be a over 18 to drive a Forklift?

You do not have to be over 18 but you have to be of school leaving age. See the HSE for further details on age restrictions.

I do not drive a car. Can I learn to operate a Forklift?

You do not need to have a driving licence before you can learn to operate a Forklift Truck.

Do I have to wear a seat belt on a Forklift?

Where there is a seat belt on a truck, it must be used.

How are the machines defined?

The capacity and usage of machinery is defined by the ABA Workplace Transport Groups.

I do not know what course I need to do?

If you are unsure of what course you will need, please give us a call and we can discuss course lengths, delegates number and experience in order to get the right course for you. Call us on 024 7646 9027.

I will only be using the a machine on a part time basis. Should I still have full training?

All users will need full training in order to operate a machine. It is a legal requirement that you receive proper training regardless of the amount of time you will use the machine.

Once I have completed my training, will I get a licence?

There is no such thing as a licence. Once you have completed a course, you will receive a certificate of training which is proof that you have received training. The word licence is used as a general term by many to refer to your certificate of training.

Hence this is why there is no official expiry date but it is recommended that you undertake regular refresher courses every 3 to 5 years.

Will I have to take a written test as well as a practical test?

Yes you will have to do both theory and practical tests. All of our theory tests are multiple choice. There is also the option to have the test read to you if needed and professional translation services can be provided by prior arrangement.

I want to pay for myself to do a course. Is this possible?

Yes of course – we cater to Self-Sponsored delegates at our training centre based in Coventry. We run the following courses for Self-Sponsored delegates; Counterbalance (Electric or LPG), Reach, Very Narrow Aisle (VNA) and Pedestrian Pallet/ Stacker Truck.

We run Novice, Experienced, Safety Refresher and Conversion courses so you are sure to find a course that suits you.

For prices and availability, please contact us directly and we can talk you through the courses we can offer.

Please note that if you wish to book a place on a Self-Sponsored course, then we will need to take a 100% deposit of the course fee in order to reserve the place for you.

I have lost my licence. Can I get a copy of it?

If you did your training through a company, then you will need to contact the company to make sure they are happy for us to release a copy of your certification to you. We will need confirmation which states that they are happy for you to purchase a copy before you can purchase a replacement certificate. The confirmation needs to be from a company email or a company headed letter.

For Self-Sponsored delegates who paid for the training themselves, we can produce a copy certificate.

There is a £25.00 charge for replacement certification. This price will cover you for all the certificates you need replacing. The replacement will be a new copy of the certificate and the plastic licence.

We will need to take payment before we can release a copy to you. 

I want training to take place on my company’s site. What do I need to provide?

When we train onsite, we have certain requirements in order to ensure you to receive the best possible training. Firstly we will need full access to the equipment for the full duration of the training – it does not help delegates if they keep getting interrupted if someone else needs to borrow the truck! The equipment must be in good working order and with current  certification as appropriate. We will also require a place for theory such as a classroom or office. We will also require an area for the practical which is large enough to accommodate the practical element on the machine and is not going to be interrupted by other work which is been carried out on the site.

What is the difference between a Banksman and a Signaller?

A banksman is someone who has been trained to direct vehicle movement on a site. A signaller is someone who has been trained to direct crane drivers whilst they are carrying out lifting operations. For more information please see the HSE Guidance Notes.

Where can I find a copy of your Data Protection Policy?

Our Data Protection Policy can be found here.